Oreo maker Mondelez pulls ads from Twitter, citing hate speech – CEO

NEW YORK, Nov 8 (Reuters) – CEO of Mondelez International Inc. (MDLZ.O) Dirk Van de Put said in an interview with Reuters Newsmaker on Tuesday that the maker of Oreo cookies removed its ads from Twitter after Tesla Inc. (TSLA.O) boss Elon Musk acquired the social media site.

“What we’ve seen recently since the announcement of the change on Twitter is that the number of hate speeches is increasing significantly,” Van de Put said. “We felt there was a risk that our ad would appear next to the wrong messages.

“As a result, we have decided to pause and pause until this risk is as low as possible,” he said.

Last week, Twitter laid off half of its workforce as advertisers cut spending amid concerns over content moderation. Automakers, General Mills Inc. (GIS.N) and United Airlines Holdings Inc. (UAL.O) are among the companies that stop ads.

Twitter, which has lost many members of its communications team, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Van de Put added that Mondelez, which makes Cadbury and Milka chocolates, expects a strong holiday season. The consumer in Europe, Mondelez’s biggest market, is currently what worries him the most, he added.

Reporting by Jessica DiNapoli in New York Editing by Matthew Lewis

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Comments are closed.