Antonio Conte, Paulo Fonseca, Sergio Conceicao: Tottenham’s shortlist to replace Nuno Espirito Santo – Paper Round
Spurs consider replacing Nuno
Nuno Espirito Santo’s time at Tottenham Hotspur could be over after his side fell to a weak 3-0 home loss to a struggling Manchester United side on Saturday night. The Telegraph reveals that the Portuguese boss is “on the verge of being sacked” just four months after taking on the role. Club officials have had “urgent talks” over Nuno’s future and a number of names have been presented by the Telegraph as a potential replacement. General manager Fabio Paratici is said to have approached Antonio Conte, while Paulo Fonseca and Sergio Conceicao are said to have been associated with this work. President Daniel Levy is also said to be willing to reappoint former player Ryan Mason in an interim role.
Opinion: Solskjaer can save his job by becoming a copier of Conte
17 HOURS AGO
Paper Round’s point of view: Nuno was a date that never seemed to work. Spurs have approached a number of managers before him, including Conte, Fonseca, Hansi Flick and Gennaro Gattuso. It is never a good sign if you are the eighth choice. The former Wolves boss has struggled since taking office in north London. Talisman Harry Kane looks selfless, there is a lack of desire on the part of the team and good results just don’t come. Tottenham need to get it right when choosing their next manager. It would be strange to see them name the frontrunner Fonseca given that they have rejected the possibility of naming him this summer.
Van de Beek on the way to Barcelona?
Barcelona have become the latest club to be linked with Manchester United outcast Donny van de Beek. The Dutchman has just recruited a new agent, Ali Dursan, who also represents his compatriot and Barça midfielder Frenkie de Jong. Sport uses this link to push Van de Beek in the direction of the struggling Catalan club. Spanish media say Barcelona have a long-term interest in the former Ajax midfielder and are “almost certain” to leave Old Trafford in January. Barca are expected to offer a loan with a purchase option clause to bring Van de Beek to Camp Nou due to his dire financial situation.
Paper Round’s point of view: Van de Beek has to leave Manchester and Barcelona could be a good move for him. He was linked with a deadline loan transfer to Everton over the summer that was never completed, but Barca could be a move that would suit him. United are more likely to loan the 24-year-old abroad than to a Premier League rival, and there are a few Dutch internationals at Camp Nou following Ronald Koeman’s stint at the helm. Van de Beek just needs more regular playing time to resurrect his career.
“I said, goal” – Arteta in disbelief at Ramsdale’s “unbelievable” save
Newcastle consider appointing new manager
Newcastle United have stepped up their search for a new manager and plan to appoint someone ahead of the November international break. The Telegraph says Graeme Jones will continue in his acting role for next weekend’s game against Brighton, but the club are looking to complete talks this week and make a final decision on the new manager before the weekend. Belgium boss Roberto Martinez is the main contender and is reportedly interested in the role, but England trio John Terry, Frank Lampard and Eddie Howe are also in the game. Elsewhere, Lucien Favre and Paulo Fonseca have both previously been interviewed by Amanda Staveley.
Paper Round’s point of view: Taking the reins of the richest club in world football seems like an easy task, but the new Newcastle boss will first face the difficult task of keeping the current squad in the Premier League this season. We are 10 games away in the campaign and the Magpies have yet to win a single game. The club will need to appoint someone who will lead the club to safety, but also have a long-term plan for the new era. Martinez is probably their first choice due to his Premier League experience with Wigan and Everton, while his time in Belgium shows he can work successfully with world-class players.
Instagram fails to help Zaha after racist abuse
Instagram has refused to help Wilfried Zaha after the Crystal Palace striker suffered racist abuse on the social media platform on Saturday. The 28-year-old shared a series of racist messages sent to him on Instagram following the South London club’s shocking victory over Manchester City. However, the Mirror reveals that Zaha has been told by Instagram that he will have to report each account individually if he wants to take action against them.
Rodgers first choice to replace Solskjaer as Manchester United boss – report
10/29/2021 AT 11:15 AM
Man Utd only delay the inevitable with Solskjaer – the Warm-Up
10/27/2021 At 7:16 AM